Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Kids are Alright

On a pretty regular basis, I'm cooking for more than just the three of us, so I would be missing the boat entirely if I didn't at least mention the fact that at least three to four days a week, we have company for dinner.  These nights are typically known as Ms. Andrea day, Nick-Nick day, and the weekend.  While my kids eat just about anything, the adults (myself included) can be downright difficult to cook for when I'm preplanning our meals! (For the record, they've never officially complained though)


So here's a bit of info about all of us since we'll be the ones giving feedback on the recipes being tried: 
  1. Brooke Lynne (age 6): loves most fruits and veggies but isn't always crazy about protein unless she's in the mood for it.  Oh, and don't tell her it's turkey if you want her to eat it. (You can call it chicken and she'll love it though!)  Brooke Lynne is easily intimidated by a plate full of food, even if it is a small plate, so I make her a "tasting plate" most nights that just has a bite or two of each item that I've prepared.  She is the most excited about about trying a new drink or dessert every week.
  2. Amelia (age 2): loves fruits and veggies and will eat them endlessly...as long as it isn't a kiwi that hasn't had the skin removed.  Amelia will try just about anything I put on her plate.
  3. Melissa (me): there are some things I just don't want in my food.  Mushrooms, chunky tomatoes, olives,  capers, artichokes, and until recently I wouldn't eat spinach either.  I grew up eating in restaurants...a lot! When my mom did cook, it was family favorites, usually comfort foods, unless it was summer and my dad was home.  In that case, we grilled (or went out to eat!)
  4. Andrea (grown-up): If you want to find her on a Wednesday night, she's usually here hanging out with us.  This keeps me sane for more than one reason (and would require a whole new blog to explain).  In her own words, she likes "chicken, bacon and pork.  Some crab.  Italian food.  Noodles, cheese, carbs.  Broccoli, corn, peas, potatoes, beans, green pepper.  Chinese food.  Most fruits and nuts, except bananas.  Dislike beef, onion, mushrooms, milk, gravy, stuffing."  She likes some spicy things, but not super spicy.  Her all time favorite food is chicken parmesan.
  5. Nick-Nick (grown-up):  When I asked him, he said he wouldn't even know where to start.  He didn't get a lot of variety food-wise when he was growing up.  Meals were usually a meat, potato, and a veggie.  He doesn't like squash, tomatoes, green or red peppers, most types of onions (raw or cooked) or ketchup. For him, it's a texture thing.  He's also "kind of weird about hard boiled eggs" and feels that lettuce is for salads only.
As you can see, at times I have my work cut out for me and it is the adult preferences and dislikes that tend to make things challenging at times, not the kids'.  As crazy as it may sound, I love cooking for my friends and my family and wouldn't change it for the world.  Cooking for them is my way of saying "I love you" without actually saying it.  It makes me feel good because I know what I prepare is healthier than what you'd find in most restaurants since I don't rely heavily on prepared "convenience foods" and it saves us all money too.  Hopefully this latest endeavor of mine won't make them too crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment