Saturday, January 28, 2012

Easy Slow-Cooker A.1. Swiss Steak


Ingredients
2lb. boneless beef chuck eye roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/4c. A.1. Original Steak Sauce
1 onion, sliced
1 can (14-1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 Tbsp. flour
1/4c. water
 
Toss meat with steak sauce; place in slow cooker. Top with onions and tomatoes; cover with lid. 
 
Cook on LOW 9 to 10 hours (or HIGH 4 to 5 hours).   Mix flour and water. Stir into meat mixture; cook, covered, 5 min. or until sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally.  **Disclaimer: This recipe was prepared and cooked on Thursday, but we didn't eat it until Saturday due to my vehicular challenges.** Ok, so where do I start? I love A.1. Steak Sauce and was thrilled to try this recipe to begin with.  I found a boneless beef eye chuck roast on sale that also had to be sold within a couple days so it was discounted an additional 20% which made me even more excited since that meant the meat itself was going to cost just about $8 for just over two pounds.  The preparations were super simple - the most challenging thing was cutting the meat into cubes since it wasn't completely defrosted from being in the freezer.  Tonight, we finally got around to enjoying this.  I served the swiss steak with sour cream and chive mashed potatoes, but it would have also been delish served with some egg noodles.  I was a bit bummed that the A.1. flavor wasn't stronger.  Going forward, I may either add more A.1. to the recipe or serve additional A.1. along side it for dipping (or both!)  I will definitely make this version of swiss steak again!

1 comment:

  1. Oops I forgot to comment on this one. The meat was super tender. Even after being chilled then reheated again. The meat had a great overall flavor. It had just a hint of A-1. As stated above I would have added a bit more A-1 to the mix or some more for dipping. I'm not a huge onion fan, but these turned out good mixed with bites of meat.

    ReplyDelete